This 365 day project features photos that include words (actual or implied),
text, books,
writing, letters and numbers, signs, libraries, and.... well, you get the idea.


4.29.2010

day 122 of 365

Click to photo to read the text.

This is the last outtake from our vacation photos. Those of you who have been following this blog for awhile know how I feel about guns -- not a fan. What struck me about this sign is that it highlighted just one of the the many political and philosophical differences between Massachusetts and Virginia. Here in Massachusetts you can get suspended for bringing a plastic picnic knife to school, but in Virginia you can buy a toy gun on a school field trip with the permission of a teacher. But I promise I won't get all political on you. It's just one tiny example of the deep divisions in this country.

Suffice it to say it was a big stretch for me to stay at my brother's house and sleep in the same room with his gun cabinet full of firearms and ammunition. But I did it, and now I'm back home, safe in my own room. :)

Hannah, as you can see, oblivious to my inner turmoil, liked the pink one.

4 comments:

  1. Oh My! Lets just say both Virginia and Massachusetts are worlds away from Edmonton, but I hold your sentiments on this. Why the toy guns though? what are you shooting with them on a school trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very "Annie Get Your Gun" photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. when we ran the Belden Store, we sold wooden rubber-band guns, and we always made sure that a grown-up approved the purchase by a kid.
    i don't like guns, either, but I've always admired the woman in the western movies who steps to the front porch with her gun and shoots into the dirt and says "now you boys stop that!" to the two fellows duking it out in the yard.

    ReplyDelete