This 365 day project features photos that include words (actual or implied),
text, books,
writing, letters and numbers, signs, libraries, and.... well, you get the idea.


3.08.2010

textures & layers

Several of you have asked about how I create the vintage kind of effect I get in some of my photos. The header for this blog is an example of 3 layers combined to create a specific vintage look. About a dozen of the almost-70 photos on this blog have been "texturized."

I don't use Photoshop or PSElements because my older computer doesn't like them, but you can certainly use those programs or other editing software to create the same effect. I use Picnik, which is available online in a free version but to do layers you need the premium version (a bargain at $24.95). As far as I know, you can't do this in Picasa -- if anyone has had success with it, I'd love to hear how you do it.

To create the layers, you need to use find a texture you like. There are tons of free textures on flickr for downloading -- just make sure you follow their guidelines for use. Then upload your photo and a texture to Picnik and drag one photo on top of another and play with the layering tool, curves, and other effects until you get it just right.

Click here to see a very short but sweet tutorial on layering with Picnik.

Careful now. You just might get addicted.

To see some really interesting texture work, check out the flickr group Textured Tresors. There's everything from the sublime to the ridiculous, with some really wonderful images in between. I'm new at it, so bear with me as I hone my skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment